Thursday, February 25, 2010

Meyer Lemon Pie


Yesterday was my birthday. 24 on the 24th. That's the first and last time that will happen. I'm not impressed by birthday's anymore. Actually I dread them. This one turned out to be pretty stressful, trying to stretch myself between different events with different people. I'm only one person people! What I prefer on a birthday is a nice dinner. In or out i'm not picky oOooo and Fondue! And that's just what we had yesterday, a nice dinner out and fondue in. It was a dream...
I went to visit family today and wanted to add to the dessert presentation, so I did some researching, looked at what I have a lot of and made a.....Meyer Lemon Pie.
Meyer lemons are crazy things! They taste like a cross between an orange and a lemon. They're even orange tinged,making them easy to identify. I thought that this pie would need less sugar next time, considering the lemons are so well, not sour. The only adjustment I made was to add another Meyer. I wanted it chock full. The pie turned out to be more of a curd. And I used a pie dough recipe that included a TON of butter. I wouldn't use that again, it definitely wasn't flaky or delicious. But, to everyone else it was quite the crowd pleaser. Isn't that great when others only see the good, while all you can think is, "i should've added that later on, this needs more____," Nonetheless, I was so pleased that my family enjoyed it-just wish I got better pics of the final product.

Recipe to follow:











Shaker Lemon Pie

Adapted by Smitten Kitchen

Makes one 9-inch pie

2 large lemons, preferably Meyers
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
4 tablespons butter, melted
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 egg white
Coarse sugar, for sprinkling

Dough for one double-crust pie [See recipes here and here.]

Thoroughly wash lemons, then dry with paper towel. Finely grate lemon zest into a bowl. Using a mandoline, slice lemons as paper thin as you can get them; remove and discard seeds. Add slices to zest and toss with sugar and salt. Cover and set aside at room temperature for 24 hours.

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Roll out half the dough 1/8 inch thick on a lightly floured surface, fit it into a 9-inch (1-quart) pie plate, and trim the edge, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang.

Mix the macerated lemon-sugar mixture with eggs, melted butter and flour until combined well. Pour in to prepared pie shell.

Roll out the remaining dough into a 12-inch round on a lightly floured surface, drape it over the filling, and trim it, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Fold the overhang under the bottom crust, pressing the edge to seal it, and crimp the edge decoratively. Beat one egg white until frothy and brush over pie crust, then sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cut slits in the crust with a sharp knife, forming steam vents, and bake the pie in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350°F. and bake the pie for 20 to 25 minutes more, or until the crust is golden. Let the pie cool on a rack and serve it warm at room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment