Thursday, July 29, 2010

Veggie Hoagie with Pesto Mayonnaise

Hoagie! This word reminds me of a trip to Phili when I was trying to explain to the street cart vendor that I wanted a Phili cheese steak without the steak (vegetarian version? hello?!). He kept saying "you want a cheese steak...without the steak??? (in a strong Middle Eastern accent) He straight up laughed at me and so, after all of that I ended up with a cheese hoagie! Now that Iam past my irritation, a Phili cheese steak without the steak does sound sort of idiotic, no?I came up with this version of a hoagie because, well, I had veggies handy. I minced some garlic, chopped some basil, olive oiled and salt and peppered the veggies before roasting them at 425 for about 30min. The mayo idea came from good ole' Emeril. Thanks Lagasse it was a delightful accompaniment to the roasted vegetables. I left out the pine-nuts since we don't get along. The parm. was especially good in this. I'd make it again tomorrow!

Mayo recipe to follow...











Pesto Mayonnaise:

  • 1 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves (about 2 ounces)
  • 1/3 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise (good quality store bought, or homemade)

In the bowl of a food processor or blender, combine the basil, pine nuts, garlic, salt, and pepper and puree, scraping down the sides as needed. With the machine running, add the oil through the feed tube and process until the mixture is thick and smooth. Add the Parmesan and process for 15 seconds.

Transfer to a bowl and add the mayonnaise, stirring to blend well. Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to serve. (The pesto mayonnaise will keep for 3 days refrigerated.)

Yield: 3/4 cup

No comments:

Post a Comment