Thursday, March 4, 2010

Barley, Butternut Squash, and Shiitake Mushroom Risotto


Came across this recipe in my new March 2010 Cooking Light magazine. I love Shiitake mushrooms and it has been wayyyyyyy too long since I've had barley. This recipe was interesting, pearl barley is like risotto in texture. Everyone enjoyed this. The only changes I made was in the cheese. Believe it or not I didn't have Taleggio available so I referred to my copy of Laura Werlin's Cheese Essentials and found that if I use my Smoked Gouda instead it would be alright. I didn't have any red-onion on hand, so I used a yellow one. Next time, I think I would use less Thyme. That probably is just personal though...I'm learning to like it. :)

Recipe to follow...



Barley, Butternut Squash, and Shiitake Risotto

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
Ingredients

* 3 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
* 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
* 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
* 2 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 1/2 pound)
* 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
* 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
* 2 garlic cloves, chopped
* 2/3 cup white wine
* 3 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 4 ounces Taleggio cheese, diced
* 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 450°.

2. Combine squash, 1 tablespoon oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss well to coat. Arrange squash mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 25 minutes, stirring once.

3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl; keep warm.

4. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan. Add onion; saut´´ 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add barley and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add wine; bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed. Add broth, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is nearly absorbed. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in squash, mushrooms, and thyme. Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment