Yield: 4 dozen (serving size: 1 cookie)
- 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup finely chopped dried apple slices
- 3/4 cup caramel bits or 16 small soft caramel candies, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a bowl; stir well.
3. Place sugars and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg; beat well. Gradually add flour mixture; beat at low speed until just combined. Fold in apple and caramel bits.
4. Drop dough by 2 teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Flatten balls slightly with hand. Bake at 350° for 9 minutes. Cool on pans 3 minutes. Remove cookies from pans; cool completely on wire racks.