Friday, April 30, 2010

Homemade Pop-Tarts


I saw a recipe for homemade pop-tarts in Bon Appetit a few years ago. Luckily, I stumbled onto Deb's adaptation on her site Smitten Kitchen which reminded me. I would probably not useher dough recipe next time. Beautifully flakey, but wayyy too buttery (calling for 1 cup to 2 cups flour!). I will use my trusty pie dough. I was also disappointed in myself that I didn't try out any other fillings. Arg. I just used Nutella and Strawberry Jam. Deb mentioned that you can cut the sugar and salt and fill them with olives, pesto, cheese and nuts. I kept thinking how lovely spinach and feta would be inside of the tarts while consuming them. Spanakopita like. :)
I will make these again, but with small adjustments and more adventure!

(p.s. I loved the little thumb-print cookies that I made from the tart trimmings. Heavenly buttery things!)

Recipe URL to follow...













No comments:

Post a Comment